Shark Cage Diving Simon’s Town, Cape Town
For Shark Cage diving Simon’s Town, Cape Town, we offer two main shark cage diving trips. A morning shark cage diving, an Afternoon shark cage diving trip. We also offer AIRJAWS trips (in season).
A HUGE BONUS: Both trips offer shark cage diving with scuba (hookah system), while other companies make you hold your breath.
Simon’s Town is in False Bay, and we are privileged to host a variety of sharks, from the Great White shark, the Blue and the Mako shark, the Broadnose Sevengilled Cow sharks to the glossy Bronze Whaler shark.
We at African Shark Eco-Charters provide a natural encounter with the various shark species of False Bay, allowing you to observe them from the Blue Pointer boat and the shark cage in this magnificent bay.
We dive at two locations in Simon’s Town (Seal Island and Cape Point), and the location will be determined the day before your trip, depending on the shark activity, the ocean and wind conditions.
Safety is of utmost importance to us. We will not compromise your shark cage diving trip by going to sea in unfit conditions. We are a top shark cage diving operator and voted #no1 on TripAdvisor.
We are a licenced shark cage diving operator. All our crew are fully trained and have been with us for years.
Join us now for a thrilling shark cage dive in Simon’s Town.
Below is everything you need to know about shark cage diving Simon’s Town, Cape Town.
07h45 Sharp on the Simon’s Town Pier.
From designated pick-up points in and around Cape Town – special transfers can also be arranged.
3.5 Hours in total.
Small groups – maximum 12 plus crew
5 divers – No experience necessary – 20 minutes’ cage time
Snacks, muffins and sandwiches, enthusiastic and experienced crew, all dive gear and tea / coffee from Saveur Restaurant & 25% off lunch
Shark Cage Diving Simon's Town, Cape Town Package
- Pick up in Cape Town (Optional)
- Meet at the Simons Town Pier 07.45 for a safety briefing and overview of the day.
- Departure 08.00 AM to Seal Island False Bay. This is a 25 min boat ride.
- Do not be late. The boat will not wait for you.
- The boat will do a tour around Seal Island, doing an inspection lap with the aim of choosing the best spot to anchor up with regard to wind and swell direction and start diving.
- The shark cage is lowered into the water and secured alongside the boat. A bait line is put in the water as well as the carpet seal decoy. These are used as attractants for the sharks. They are surface feeders and are very curious animals. Please note that the aim is not to feed sharks. We are NOT an adrenaline outfit and we do not touch sharks.
- Start diving. All dive gear is provided. We use scuba gear and snorkel.
- If you do not wish to dive, you will still have excellent views of the sharks as we have a lovely viewing deck on the boat.
- We have a cooler box with snacks and drinks on board which you are welcome to help yourself too.
- 11.30 Return to Simon’s Town. Coffee Vouchers and a 25% off lunch voucher will be offered.
JANUARY TO APRIL: Shark cage diving and viewing. We dive with various shark species depending on what sharks are currently in the area.
MAY TO AUGUST: Combination of great white shark breaching, predation, shark viewing and shark cage diving. We may dive with other sharks depending on what sharks are currently in the area.
SEPTEMBER TO JANUARY: Shark cage viewing and shark cage diving. We typically dive with the Bronze Whaler sharks, the Blue and the Mako sharks and the Broadnose Sevengilled Cow sharks.
- Rain/wind jacket
- Sun block and Hat
- Beanie and scarf
- Your swimming costume
- Camera (we sell disposable underwater camera’s)
- Take sea sick tablets
- Do not over indulge in alcohol the night before as you will be horribly sea sick.
Please Note: We have a very high success rate, but we are working with wild animals. Please be aware of this, so you do not arrive with unrealistic expectations. Shark sightings and activity are never guaranteed and even during peak season, there may be days when the sightings are lower than expected. No refunds will be made for non-sightings.
The prices of the trips are from R2995,00 per person, excluding transfers. Transfers are R750 per person.
We do not recommend children under the age of 8 coming along as it’s a long day at sea for them and sea sickness can be a big issue.
Simon’s Town, sometimes spelt Simonstown, is a town in the Western Cape, South Africa and is home to Naval Base Simon’s Town, the South African Navy’s largest base. It is located on the shores of False Bay, on the eastern side of the Cape Peninsula. For more than two centuries it has been a naval base and harbour.
Things to do in Simon’s Town
- Visit the penguins at Boulders beach
- Go Kayaking
- Go water biking
- Snorkelling in the Kelp Forest
- Scuba diving or snorkel with seals
- Scuba diving at the various wreck sites in False Bay
- Walk up to Just Nuisance’s grave
- Have fish and chips on the pier