Afternoon Shark Cage Diving
The time of year will determine the species of shark you will experience on your dive with us.
During our afternoon shark cage diving trip you will be able to see the Sharks from a point blank range and the best part is that this trip revolve around shark cage diving. No diving experience is necessary. We do offer shark diving ALL year around. Shark species can include Sevengill Broadnose cow sharks, Great white sharks and the odd Bronzie or Copper Shark. (Mako Sharks & Blue sharks on Pelagic Trips).
No Scuba qualifications are necessary! The cage floats just under the surface of the water, and it is situated alongside the boat. Only 5-6 enter the cage at a time, all scuba equipment stays on board and only the scuba hose enters the cage, allowing you to enjoy a great dive without cumbersome, heavy tanks and gear.
The average dive time is 20 minutes depending on the shark activity. Once everyone has had a go, and if there is enough time, then a second dive is allowed. Our crew is highly trained and safety is of utmost importance.
Shark Cage Diving is one of the main reasons that people come to Cape Town. And shark cage diving is what we offer! Book with us in False Bay.
11h30 at our shop in Simons Town.
From designated pick-up points in and around Cape Town – special transfers can also be arranged.
4 Hours at sea.
Small groups – maximum 10 plus crew
5 divers – No experience necessary – 20 minutes’ cage time
Snacks, muffins and sandwiches, enthusiastic and experienced crew, all dive gear and tea / coffee from Saveur Restaurant & 25% off lunch
Afternoon Shark Cage Diving Trips
Our trips run from Simons Town, which is only 45 minutes from Cape Town.
For the afternoon shark cage diving we chose to only take small groups boat so you can enjoy a comfortable trip in a more personal and exclusive environment.
Here is the itinerary of what you need to bring and know before your trip.
- Pick up in Cape Town (Optional)
- PM Trip to meet in shop at 11.30pm
- Departure 12.00 PM. Departure to Seal Island False Bay. This is a 25 min boat ride.
- Do not be late. The boat will not wait for you.
- The boat will do a tour around Seal island, doing an inspection lap with the aim of choosing the best spot to anchor up with regard to wind and swell direction and start diving.
- The cage is lowered into the water and secured alongside the boat. A bait line is put in the water as well as the carpet seal decoy. These are used as attractants for the sharks. They are surface feeders and are very curious animals. Please note that the aim is not to feed sharks. We are NOT an adrenaline outfit and we do not touch sharks.
- Start diving. All dive gear is provided. We use scuba gear and snorkel.
- If you do not wish to dive, you will still have excellent views of the Great White Shark as we have a lovely viewing deck on the boat.
- We have a cooler box with snacks and drinks on board which you are welcome to help yourself too.
- 16.00 PM Return to Simon’s Town.
JANUARY TO APRIL: Shark cage viewing and dive.
MAY TO AUGUST: Combination breaching, predation viewing and cage dive.
SEPTEMBER TO JANUARY: Shark cage viewing and dive.
- Rain/wind jacket
- Sun block and Hat
- Beanie and scarf
- Your swimming costume
- Camera (we sell disposable underwater camera’s)
- Take sea sick tablets
- Do not over indulge in alcohol the night before as you will be horribly sea sick.
Please Note: We have a very high success rate, but we are working with wild animals. Please be aware of this, so you do not arrive with unrealistic expectations. Shark sightings and activity are never guaranteed and even during peak season there may be days when the sightings are lower than expected. No refunds will be made for non-sightings.